Friday, May 29, 2009

There and Back Again...


This may come as a surprise to most people but I really don't like to backpack. Perhaps if there wasn't so much dirt in the equation I would like it better. However, I really did have a great time backpacking in the Grand Canyon.

I have found that there are certain things that make me happy on a backpacking trip that would induce me to do something like that again...

1. Have a sherpa. Or the better equivalent--Randy...


This is a must! Not only did Randy carry a lot of stuff, he set up the tent...

and cooked our meals...


Randy also filled up water bottles, washed the dishes, and any other chore that arose. Absolutely, without question, Randy made the trip much more tasteful to my palate.

2. Have a trip photographer...


My brother, David, took some really fantastic pictures--many of them have been featured these past two weeks about the trip. It is so nice to not only have the group photos but also the gorgeous landscape photos made possible by his fancy shmancy camera (my favorite began today's blog post). David recorded some really happy moments that are fun to look back on and they were all made possible because he was willing to backpack the equipment around the ENTIRE time! Thanks, David!

3. Have a trip scripture reader...


Daniel (or Shauna) packed the Book of Mormon down into the canyon. Each night, Daniel would read a chapter from it. How do I know this? Because our tents were practically touching each other! Without trying, you could hear what everyone was saying. So, I would fall asleep each night with a chapter of the Book of Mormon being read by my brother, Daniel. It was like a bedtime story!

4. Wipes...


These "daily cleansing cloths" was like my link to the civilized world. I loved to clean my arms, my legs, and my face. It gave me a brief illusion that I had showered. They made me VERY happy.

5. Travel with some of the people you love most in this world...


It is nice to spend time with family. I'm telling ya, if I did this with strangers it would be a real downer of a trip!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment