Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Recipe of the Week

White Chicken Chili

I don't know what the weather is like where you live but the weather here is perfect for a little chili.

With that introduction, here is the recipe...

In a large pan, combine:

2 1/2 cups water
1 tsp. lemon pepper
1 tsp. cumin seed (yes buy the seeds!)

Bring to a boil. Add 2-4 boneless chicken breasts (depends on the size--mine are huge so I only add two) and return to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 20 minutes or until chicken is cooked.


Remove chicken from the pan and cut into tiny pieces. Place the chicken back into stock. Than add:

1 clove garlic, chopped fine
1 c. chopped onion (I usually use dried onion to hurry the process. If you use a fresh onion saute in another pan beforehand)
2 8 oz. white shoepeg corn, drained (I just use regular yellow corn from my food storage)
1 4 oz. chopped green chilies, undrained
1 tsp. ground cumin
2-3 Table. lime juice
2 14 oz. white or great northern beans, undrained

Simmer for 45 minutes or so. If I'm running behind in my dinner prep less time works too!


To serve, add into your bowl with the chili:

tortilla chips (broken up a bit)
Monterey Jack cheese

This recipe serves about 6-7 people. We will generally have a little bit of leftovers.

Do you want to meet one of my best friends? We met at Costco...


I can't tell you how much I love this giant container of minced garlic. It is so cheap at Costco (compared to buying the same thing somewhere else) and it allows me to use (almost) freshly minced garlic in my cooking in the time it takes to open the lid and scoop out what I need.

I don't know if my love for garlic is a result of growing up next to Gilroy, the garlic capital of the world, but I do know I love me some garlic!

Minced garlic from Coscto--a favorite thing!

Enjoy the recipe!

Karen

3 comments:

  1. Do you love that garlic more than me? If so I am jealous . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. What about me??? Do you love that garlic or Leslie more than me? If so I am so jealous....

    ReplyDelete