Friday, January 16, 2009

Why "impulse of the moment"?

First, before I say anything else, I just want to give a round of applause to my niece (and webmaster extraordinaire), Christie, for designing my blog and giving me exactly what I wanted—a CUTE blog! It is perfect and I am in love with it!

When Christie asked me what I wanted to name my blog I kind of froze. I hadn’t thought of that part—I just knew I wanted one. To name a blog is a HUGE deal. It is much like naming a baby—but there isn’t a blog naming book! So I was left to my own imagination. First, I knew it had to be perfect. I really wanted it to say something about me yet be sort of clever at the same time. What to do?!

I turned to Google. Google always has the answers. I began searching famous movie lines—perhaps there was a portion of a movie line I could use (like “A Wonderful Life”). Nothing struck me as being “it”.

Then I had, what Oprah calls, an “Aha!” moment. What do I love? I love Jane Austen novels. What phrase from her books could I use? My first impulse was to use something Mr. Darcy said but knew that would cause Randy to roll his eyes big time. I can’t have that. So the quest continued.

Then I came upon the most perfect phrase which is said in one of the funniest scenes of “Pride and Prejudice” and spoken by one of the most delightful characters (Mr. Bennet) to one of the most hilarious characters (Mr. Collins) Jane Austen ever developed.

The scene I talk of is when Mr. Collins eats dinner with the Bennets when he first arrives to Longbourn. During dinner Mr. Collins refers to Lady Catherine de Bourgh—a lot. He gives great detail of Lady Catherine and all of the complements he pays to her. Then Mr. Bennet asks Mr. Collins,

“It is happy for you that you possess the talent of flattering with delicacy. May I ask whether these pleasing attentions proceed from the impulse of the moment, or are they the result of previous study?”

When I read this line I knew “impulse of the moment” had to be my blog name! Not only does it represent something I love but it reminds me to remember, in my life of schedules and checking off my “To Do” list, not to forget to be a little impulsive too. Life needs that, you know?

All posts should have a picture so I thought I would add a couple of them. These pictures were taken while on vacation last year. We were driving around Canyonlands National Park. I decided to take pictures of the kids in the van. These pictures have become some of my favorites (even though one is kind of blurry) because it captured a happy moment in time I normally would never record. An impulse of the moment.

Here is the first:

Here is the other:

I want to do several things with this blog. First, I thought I would use it to let my family know what we are up to. I also thought I would use it as a journal, a place to record my little adventures, my little amusements and my projects. I thought I would use the blog to share my recipes--old favorites as well as the yummy newly discovered ones. Everyday a little of this and a little of that.

I hope you come back to see me soon!

2 comments:

  1. I love the first picture and the story of your blog title! I thought your blog title was a perfect fit for you. Good job. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dang! I wanted to be the first one to comment. A historic moment for you Karen. I'm laughing just thinking of the scene you refer to! Love you baby!!!

    ReplyDelete