Monday, June 8, 2009

Recipe of the Week

Fish Tacos

This is a recipe I tried for the first time last week. It is a winner! I really liked it because it was quick and easy. Happily, everyone else in the family really liked it too. Yeah!

Here is the recipe as written (my changes, comments below):

Halibut or other white fish (for 4 people)
2 avocados, chopped
1/4 head cabbage, shredded thin
1/2 c. Ranch dressing
1/2 c. plain yogurt
1/2 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 small can green chiles
8 flour tortillas
1-2 limes

Poach, steam or bake fish until it flakes. While fish is cooking, cut up avocado and cabbage; set aside in small dishes. Mix dressing, yogurt, cilantro and drained chiles. Heat tortillas until hot, but still soft. Fill with fish, avocado and cabbage. Top with dressing mixture and a squeeze of fresh lime.

My thoughts:

Wal-mart has fairly inexpensive frozen, individually wrapped talapia (about 4-5 pieces per bag for under $4). I was skeptical to buy frozen fish--especially frozen fish from Wal-mart but I was really pleased with it. It was quite tasty. One bag almost allowed all six of us to have two tacos each (just to give you an idea on how far the fish goes for this meal).

When I made the dressing I left out the green chiles. I don't know why but I did. I liked it but I think I will do what the recipe tells me to do next time!

Last, I used the yummy Costco tortillas that need to be cooked before eating. That was a great choice and really made these tacos extra special. I highly recommend them!

Sorry there is no photo! I was much too hungry to stop and take a picture!

Enjoy!

Karen

No comments:

Post a Comment