Friday, June 12, 2009

A Favorite Thing

I LOVE my food storage.

But I'm not talking about the wheat and beans.

Don't think I don't have those items because I do. I've got buckets and buckets of it...


The problem with that stuff is that it is, well, so stuffy. Wheat and beans are so mature, so grown-up. They kind of have that "I can last for 30 years if stored properly therefore I am clearly superior" vibe going on in their sterile white buckets that just does not excite me.

My favorite thing is this kind of food storage...

Notice all of the colors, the differences in height and shape, and the, let's face it, the appealing flavors and variety! Isn't it pretty?!

When the Church came out with the new food storage policy (storing a three month supply of food you normally eat in addition to the wheat and beans) I was jazzed. I always stored some of the food we normally eat but not a three month supply.

This was a concept I could really wrap my mind around. I totally understood it.

I sat down and figured out the meals (where the majority of the ingredients are made up of non-perishable items) that we could eat in one month's time. Then I multiplied those ingredients/food items by three to find out how much I needed to store for a three month supply.

I also included items such as toiletries, cleaning products, etc.

I LOVE my little three month food storage in progress. I love to log what is in storage, I love to organize it, and I love to dust it (Just kidding! I don't really dust it!).

Most of all, I love the peace of mind it brings knowing that not only do we have some food to fall back on in times of need but also the fact that I'm being obedient to a commandment.

Now THAT is, indeed, a favorite thing!

Karen

1 comment:

  1. That IS a beautiful food storage! I can't wait until I have a cold storage room so I don't have to put my food storage in the downstairs shower:).

    ReplyDelete